Philadelphia & Western
P&W 1927 Brill-built
Car arriving at Strafford along the PRR's "Main Line" west of Philadelphia,
probably in 1955 or early 1956 before Red Arrow abandoned the Strafford
branch. P&W No. 65 was rebuilt to No. 169 in 1935. The car was destroyed
by fire in 1960. Red Arrow Lines advertised "safe, convenient, on time
transportation service." On April 26, 1950, two companions of No. 169 --
163 & 165 -- collided on a curve near Wayne, Pa., but no one was injured
even though the ends of both cars telescoped. In the photo, the PRR electified
main line to Paoli and Harrisburg is on the embankment to the left of No.
169. P&W had an easy cross platform transfer to the owl-eyed MP-54
electric MUs operated by PRR.
Ed Havens collection
the Havens page
to PSTC page
to Home Page