San Diego Electric Railway
Class 2 car built by St.Louis
Car Co. in 1914, pulling out of Imperial & 16th St. carhouse during
WW2 headed for a trip to Consolidated Aircraft Co.Parts Plant (sign in
left window.) This company made B-24s during the war and was located on
the old route to Mission Beach off Kettner Blvd. The need for service to
this and other plants in the vicinity, prompted SDERy to relay track on
Kettner Blvd. that was pulled out after the beach lines ended in 1940.
A 4 track terminal was built beside the Santa Fe RR at Witherby St.off
Kettner Blvd. The plant ran 24 hours a day during the war and each shift
change required streetcars from all the routes to come there for it. They
brought people to work and took the new shift home.
Bill Volkmer collection
San Diego Page
state by state listings
to Home Page