Third Avenue Railway
1250 had a long and checkered history. It began life as a St. Louis Car Co. demonstrator in 1924. It was sold to Kankakee & Urbana Traction Co. of Kankakee, Ill. In 1924 where it carried number 242.  In 1930 it went to Third Ave. Railway as their 1702. In 1934 it was renumbered up from the other second hand cars to 1250 and ran until July 6, 1948.  When built it was a stock Double Truck Birney but Third Ave. lengthened the platforms and widened the doors.  Photo taken northbound on Ogden Ave. at 161st St. near Yankee Stadium.
Bill Volkmer Collection
Back to Third Avenue Railway Page
To state by state listings
Back to Home Page