Click to go back Back
Trinidad
Trinidad Electric
Click to go forward Forward
Trinidad Electric open car 2.

Port of Spain, capital city of Trinidad, opened a 3 ft 6 in gauge trolley line in 1895 using Brill cars.

A Canadian company called Trinidad Electric acquired it and converted it to standard gauge in 1902. By 1933 Trinidad Electric was running 30 passenger cars, all from Brill, on 23 km of track. The system allegedly closed in 1950, but one line reopened in 1954 and ran until 1956.

Street traffic in Trinidad is left-hand, English-style, and Trinidad Electric also ran the hemisphere's only left-hand trolleybuses 1941-1956.
Caption data from Allen Morrison; photo courtesy the Ken Josephson collection

cotr_m_cotr_trinelec_02_am+kj_te01.jpg

Click to go Back Click to go Forward



Back to Trinidad
Back to States/Provinces
Back to www.newdavesrailpix.com